May 7, 2007

Skirt 6, May 7


It's Monday.

Today's skirt is one that I rarely wear. Another find to fill up my half-empty closet, this skirt is about two years old. I bought it on sale at J.Crew for $19.99. I only bought it because it was on sale. Why are sale items always $XX.99??

The fabric is fun, but a complete departure from my typical style and colors. I've never really felt comfortable wearing this skirt. I could count the times that I've worn this skirt on one hand.
Maybe it's because I haven't integrated it into my wardrobe enough?
Maybe it's because I have 60 skirts and there is always something else to wear.
Who knows...

What I like about this skirt
1. The fabric. It's bright, colorful and very girly. More girly than feminine and I think there is a difference. Growing up with two brothers, I never really considered myself very girly.
2. The way this skirt is sewn is very interesting. As a closet seamstress, I know this skirt is constructed of many A-line panels. The tucks in the middle of each panel give the illusion of individual panels. I.E. I like the detail.
3. The pink ribbon. It's grosgrain. I like to say grosgrain. AND it adds a very girly touch.

Later that day...

It was just another day at the office. Had an errand to run to the temporary location of my alma mater, Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. (Try writing that on your college applications.) It was a great school to attend, such a special experience. It's still got it going on...


The pegasus is our mascot. This sculpture was created by students, though I don't know which year. Wish I knew more about it... I love that they moved him to Nolan Estes Plaza to be with the students. You can see him from I-35.
Last Fall, I read an interview in D Magazine with fellow alum Erykah Badu. There was this part in the article when she talked about being in high school and asking the pegasus what she should do with her life. Maybe I should have done that a long time ago. That story cracks me up.

My friend Christi sent me a link to a blog that has a similar concept. Check out her friend Orawin's jeans project.

I got three compliments on my skirt today. It's ok. Not a sure thing.

No comments: