November 27, 2007

Let the countdown begin... 18 more skirts!

I'm trying something different to pass the time quickly. Not that I'm not enjoying myself here. The weather is nice to come back to, as is the beach, the beautiful sunsets and actually my job. How bad can it be? I am blessed to work where people come to vacation! However, still have to TCB, and learn to enjoy myself while doing so.

Today's skirt is 24 hour Skirt or Skirt 20. I worked hard in this skirt last time I wore it. It's super utilitarian, making it easier to run around in and TCB (Take Care of Business). I have a lot to do this week, actually before I leave for Christmas break. I'm making a list...


This is Naomi's skirt. I thought it was so pretty with the sequined bamboo on the panels. The glimmer caught my eye in the sunshine today.


One of the things that I want to do is to begin to paint the classroom walls. There are some beams that I want to paint some Essential Questions on, and various walls and corners that are crying out for colorful/graffiti style art related vocabulary. I think this will really brighten up a dull classroom and be very helpful as most of the students at my school are learning English as their second language. Feeling like Michelangelo, I began to paint a color wheel above the classroom door. It's the perfect nook. But, the colors are drying too dark and I was attacked by the blue paint. (Sigh...) I guess Skirt 20 has now turned into the official painting skirt, or perhaps a Jackson Pollock Skirt. If you ask me, my skirt looks better with paint splattered all over it. It gives it character, a history... Every splotch and color will now tell a story, and that makes me happy.


We've started our unit with clay this week, today with Pre-Frist and Kindergarten. It's been entirely too long since I have touched wet clay, and it was such a great feeling to squish the clay between my fingers. I know my kids enjoyed it too, they are sooo cute!
I had to order the clay mixed and by the kilo. Before I knew how to order the clay, I had heard a story about a previous art teacher digging clay by the side of the road here in town... I wonder if that is true? I'm standing on 50 kilos here, about 100 lbs. All this means is that I have to fire a kiln sometime this week... Hmmm... hope I can remember how! At least the instructions are in English.


I attended the National Honor Society induction ceremony this evening. After being attacked by blue paint and being up to my elbows in clay, I wanted to dress up and wear heels. Here I am with one of my AP students. She's doing so well in school, and I am really proud of her. Actually, I am proud of all the inductees. This is a group of students who do so much for the community here in Vallarta. I don't remember giving this much to the community when I was in NHS, and service is the one of the main objectives. I still have my pin, but these kids are walking away with so much more experience than I had at their age.

2 comments:

treva dea said...

Hello, I am a school teacher in Sayulita and was wondering where you got the clay from? I know it was a couple of years ago when you posted this entry, but I thought it was worth a try! Thanks, treva

Unknown said...

Hi!

I can give you the number of someone at the American School, but can you shoot me an email? I am not able to respond to you that way. Oh, how I love Sayulita! I woke up here in Belgium to 25 degree weather... at least it's sunny?