November 2, 2007

Skirt 75 ~ dia de los muertos

Skirt 75 is actually a sundress from H & M that I bought when I was in Boston last June; before I knew about Mexico, before I knew about anything that I would be doing 5 mos later... The fabric was the main attraction for this purchase. That, and I do enjoy the easy breezy style of the dress: A-line, smocked top with two tie spaghetti straps. It's black cotton with colorful calaveras (skulls) all over it. It was too long, so I shortened it. Good thing too...
Now, it doubles as a skirt when I feel like it.

November 2nd is a holiday in Mexico, which means a holiday for teachers! Hoo-ray! To celebrate, some friends and I headed to Sayulita for the day...
R O A D T R I P ! ! !


An internet search pulled up this Sayulita Skirt available from Athleta...
"Designed for strolling through town on your tropical vacation, this linen skirt has inverted pleats to accommodate your full stride. "
Woo hoo! I ♥ Sayulita!


Check out esta mujer en la playa. She is working her skirt off!
$7 USD will bring you fresh juice and rum by the beach, if your ♥ desires...


The day was perfect. I enjoyed a message at Nirvana Massage (still trying to work that kink out in my back), found a new delicious flavor of paleta - jamaica (hibiscus flower - MAN! is it good! So sweet and delicious), and discovered the different ways that dia de los muertos is celebrated here in Mexico.

Altars are set up to honor the deceased in the home or place of business. At the cemeteries, there is more of a party atmosphere. It is quiet and moving, but families are at the graves of their loved ones with music, fresh flowers, BBQ and beer. It's quite an experience, and I am thankful that I got to experience it first hand.


Here is the altar beyond the steps in the photo above...
Typically, the alters have marigolds, papel picado, water, the deceased favorite foods, pictures of loved ones, candles, pan de muertos, calaveras and other items depending on the family or the deceased loved one. They are so beautiful and moving, and less complicated than ones I have seen in the States. It made me think of what I would want on my altar... Is that morbid?


To commemorate this occasion, I bought a Mexican handicraft: a bowl to keep my keys in, I always misplace them... It was an impulse buy, but I HAD to get it... She's wearing a skirt! I ♥ Sayulita Gypsy! Great shopping for a great day!


Many kisses...
Love,
Skirt Lady en Sayulita

No comments: