November 12, 2007

Late, late, LATE skirt!

I work with some great teachers.
They share and they wear great skirts!

Here's Nancy's skirt, which I love... envy actually. It's a simple A-line, denim skirt that she got at a second-hand store in Toronto. Love the purple accessories, and Nancy has the best accessories!


Nancy shared some of her fruit with me today. I had never eaten cactus fruit, or tuna as they are called here. You eat the seeds and everything. It was really tasty and sweet, very interesting to swallow the seeds...

I was eating my tuna outside when a friend came over and told me a dicho, or Mexican saying. I wasn't sure what he was saying... Something about the spinas (thorns) and that if a woman eats the tuna then she will have problems with her spouse???
Uh-oh...

Maybe I didn't hear him correctly... es posible!

Here is another saying:
Voy a comerme esta tuna, aunque me espine la mano.
I’m going to eat this cactus-fruit, even if it pricks my hand.

This saying expresses determination to carry out a difficult task. In other words, this goal is worth dealing with the thorns.

Tenacity ~ Reminds me of my 1,000 origami cranes project. With the help of the 3rd and 5th graders, today we have 937, plus the 45 that I folded this weekend, which brings the total to 982! Now, we have to string and hang them for this Friday... even if it pricks my hand...


This is Teri Jo's skirt. I love this skirt, because it's wrap around, beautiful and navy blue. This skirt was also bought at a second-hand store, but in Los Angeles.
Today, Teri Jo shared a poem with me, The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer. It's beautiful.

I had a few errands to run this afternoon, so I strolled around downtown and ran into an artisan fair in Parque Hidalgo. I got a beautiful camera case for $30 pesos ($3 USD). Good thing too. It was time to turn in the sock, it's getting kind of gray.
I also bought a calendar for 2008. It's by this chic stationary manufacturer here in Mexico by the name of Gusano de Lux. The images are so colorful and I like what was written on the back. "Mexico, every day, a new friendly smile and a different color with each step."


A shot of la iglesia behind Parque Hidalgo. This skirt shot is different, but I think it's very poignant of the role of women that I have witnessed here in Mexico.

*************************************************************************
I am cleaning out my classroom and found a project that we did at the beginning of the year. 3rd and 5th grade used pastels to tell the story of what they did this summer. This is my example, ironically I am wearing the same thing today.

Maybe, this is what I’ll do next summer too…

********************************************************************
Argh!!
Wearing hung-over skirt, Skirt 4, not because I'm hung-over, but because I was sooooo late to school today! I slept through my alarm, or it is set for p.m... I didn't stick around to check.

I left the house in such a hurry, that I totally nixed my morning routine and I feel so bleary eyed and confused. Thankfully, the bus got me here on time, sometimes a 15 minute ride can last 35, and like I said, thankfully this was not one of those mornings.

I had another skirt planned to wear, but it was for the Monday morning Flag Ceremony which happens every Monday. Every Monday the primary school, teachers and parents get together to watch an assembly for the students. The teachers call on students who have done an excellent job or at least shown signs of improvement. It's sweet and gives you a good feeling. I had four students picked out that I wanted to recognize, but I'll guess I'll have to recognize them in class.

Sometimes, things do not go as planned and all you can do is roll with the punches. To cope, sometimes we create a new plan or we decide to just throw it all up in the air and see what happens. I think I'll just see what's going to happen today. Like my hemline, it's already gotten off to a pretty dramatic start.

CRANE UPDATE! 836 this morning. *That doesn't include the ones that I did at the beach this past weekend. In my mad dash out the door this morning, I left them at home.

No comments: