October 31, 2007

Tick or Treat

Boo! I just had to share some interesting things that happened yesterday...

Trick: "official" complex notices
On my way to work yesterday morning, I saw the work of some of my students who live in my complex informing residents that kids were coming to say "Halloween, Halloween!" and to have candy ready because kids were coming at 7:30!
Ha-larious! Crafty!


Treat: Altars
They are all over town.

This is for Mexican singer Francisco Gabilondo Soler or Cri-Cri, “the Singing cricket.” He had a very popular children's radio show during the 1940s through 60s. I remember mom playing his records when I was a kid. The 6th and 1st grade classes collaborated and made this altar at school.


This altar is for Patrick Denour, an artist who lived here in Vallarta and passed away last April in a fatal motorcycle accident. (I had read about him last week at Cafe Canela.) They had his brushes out beside his picture. There was as mirror on a small coffin. I imagine to get you to think about your own mortality...

Trick: Frida Kahlo!
The lights went out on campus yesterday, during 4th grade art. The kids screamed and got a big kick out of it. The funny part was that they were convinced it was because it was Halloween and the spirit of Frida Kahlo had come to haunt them!

Treat?: Coke in a bag

After taking the wrong bus and walking home, I decided to end my evening with some tacos de cameron y carne asado to go (para llevar). I asked for a Coke, and the woman asked me if I would like a cup (vaso) or a bag (bolsa). I thought I was going to get a can, so I asked for una bolsa. After a minute, she came back and handed me a plastic bag of Coke and a straw ???

Where have I landed? What planet is this?
Oh Mexico, you fooled me again...

No comments: