January 27, 2008

Weekend Travel Skirt 2: Camping in Mayto

Some friends and I went camping South of Vallarta. We traveled to two towns: Corrales and Mayto.

We stopped to have lunch in Corrales, a very small fishing village. It reminds me of what I imagine Yelapa must have looked like before it turned into such a tourist destination.



No beach here to set up camp... boo!

Onward!
Looking for a camp site, we stopped at this gorgeous isolated beach. The view is stunning and endless, but it was way too windy to stay.


We discover we are not alone...


Finally, we arrive in Mayto. We set up camp and walk up to Mayto Hotel to enjoy a margarita. We saw baby humpbacks jumping out of the water in this bay,

and watched the sunset.

(Sigh...)

That night while we slept the sound of the water was very calming, despite the ATVs that were roaming and mean dog that barked right outside our tent.

The next morning we went for a walk along the very long beach.

Mayto has a station that monitors and protects the sea turtles that lay their eggs on this beach. I didn't see any turtles, but I did see some whales!


On my walk, I hunted for shells. I'm always looking for inspiration for jewelry that I dream of creating. I found something. This will look nice on a leather cord.

Made in Mexico

No comments: