May 11, 2008

Penney's Skirt in Arizona

These pics are from my trip to Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. Penney's Skirt, now Skirt 6, and I went to Taliesin West in Scottsdale, Arizona. Taliesin West was architect Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home and now houses the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.

A nice shot of the saguaros on Taliesin West property...


Here I am waiting for the tour, hoping it's worth the $32!!!


W o w !
Only a chosen few architecture students were lucky enough to slave away hauling rocks to build this historic home (compound).


This is Myrna, our tour guide. She was fabulous! She wore a skirt, how could she not be?


I like this chair, and it's comfy too!
FLW sat here:

and so did I! :)

An interior shot of the living room where FLW and wife Olgivanna would entertain important guests such as Georgia O'Keeffe and myself, Skirt Lady of course.


Another shot view of the living room with Myrna, 'splaining away. Did I mention that I thought she was excellent? These tours are an hour and a half!


FLW's bathroom:
I love the metal siding... Funny, I was just talking to someone the other day about a silver bathroom. Another one of his experiments in the early 1950's.


There are lots of indoor/outdoor spaces. This shot takes me back to the days when I was learning how to draft...


This dragon breathes fire at night. HOT!!!


A view of the back of the house/compound


One of two performance spaces. The stage is built on top of a hole, therefore the acoustics are awesome. One of the many scientific aspects of architecture that FLW was experimenting with. FLW never ceases to fascinate me.


The last shot at Taliesin.
Buddha:

It was worth the $32

Driving into Scottsdale another FLW, WTH is that supposed to be?


Outside the SMOCA, pronounced Smoke-ah. Stands for Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art.
Hey Robert Indiana! Where's the L O V E ?!


Speaking of LOVE, I was in Arizona for April's wedding & her birthday, happened on the same day. After the ceremony, the P A R T Y began! Here's a beautiful skirt performing the Wedding Dance from the state of Veracruz in the Gulf of Mexico.

Congratulations April & Matt! Please send some Skirt Shots ASAP from your honeymoon in Peru.

xoxo

No comments: