April 3, 2009

Fiesta Friday!


Today's skirt is on loan from my mother. It's part of her "China Poblana" costume, which is one of the national costumes of Mexico. This skirt has sequins and beads in the shape of the Mexican eagle and snake, chock-full of sparkles! It's typically worn with a white cotton blouse and red sash.

For more sparkle, I brought my sombrero in.

I set it on the floor and we all danced around it. But, that didn't last too long...

It was more fun to take the animals on a ride. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Today was Fiesta Friday, a tradition that goes back to the year I taught high school Spanish. I brought in Mexican dulces and galletas (sweets and cookies) for the kids to try, but also stuffed the piñata with good intentions...

Smarties for my smarties.

The piñata turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself.

I loved the way the streamers danced as I pulled it up and down. Eventually it broke, once every kid had a turn and out fell the treats, stickers and Playdoh.

¡Olé and Happy Friday!

No comments: