December 4, 2012

Christmas Ball, Day 4

The Red Ball
de rode bal
la boule rouge

It was a disappointing day for reasons I won't get into. Also, I went to my French class and to the grocery store with a big red raspberry smudge on the bridge of my nose. No one even bothered to tell me. At least the smoothie that caused the big red dot on my face was delicious. Next time I will not brush my teeth in the dark. (By the way, Christmas Ball 3 is finished and posted.)

I cast on three times today, but the stitches didn't happen. So, I made pom poms instead. 
I made six different colored pom poms without using a fancy pom-pom maker that costs €10. Instead, I used a simple tutorial from a recent post on Design Mom.

It was extremely therapeutic.
I could have knit a plain red ball, but I need to fill my little tree with something other than Christmas
balls, and I thought colorful pom poms would make a nice addition. Of course I will show the tree at some point, but the lighting in my studio is terrible most times of the day, and space is limited. But, that's working with what you've got, right?

My red pom pom reminds me of a special event in Leuven that took place earlier this year - Kurt Perschke's RedBall Project. For seven days in September, a 4.5 meter [15 ft] tall big red rubber ball was installed in various places around the city. I missed the first day's installation but was able to catch the rest. 

Finally, almost three months later, I will share my pictures.
September 21, 2012 - in front of the new city hall.
September 22, 2012 - on the Mechelsestraat
September 23, 2012 - I am not sure of the street, but it's off Naamsestraat. 
September 24, 2012 - First day of classes at KU Leuven.  
September 25, 2012 - Universiteitsbibliotheek KU Leuven.
September 26, 2012 - City Park entrance. 
This project makes me so happy! 
Learn more about  RedBall Project here, and check out this interview with the artist. 

No comments: