December 3, 2012

Christmas Ball, Day 3

Snow
de sneeuw
la neige
I chose the snowflake because it snowed today! 
Only for two hours, but still!

Today's ornament is in progress, but I am not sure I will be able to post in time. Mondays are generally pretty crazy days. Usually I spend the day preparing for conversational English classes that I facilitate in the evenings. It's a small group and I teach two levels - beginning and advanced. Our classes are almost over and I have really enjoyed getting to know the participants.  I hesitate to call them students, because it's a really informal setting and I don't give them grades or anything. So, I will call them what I call all of my students - friends.  But, more on that later, back to my Christmas ball.

Christmas ball 3 is the first pattern from the book 55 Christmas Balls to Knit by Arne & Carlos. It's actually the first ball I made a few weeks back.
My very first Christmas ball. Made Thanksgiving day, 2012.
I used a red and white color scheme just like the example in the book. The yarns I used were a wool blend and I knit the ornament with size 3.0 needles. This ornament is pretty big compared to what I am knitting these days. My stitches got tighter, I switched yarns and downsized to 2.5 needles.

I am using an inexpensive acrylic yarn in gray and white and adding a silver metallic yarn to knit with the white to give it some sparkle. I've never knit with the novelty yarn, so wish me luck!
It's been snowing off and on for a few days, but I actually saw the big white flakes fall today. It's not cold enough for the snow to stick, but in my Texas opinion it's cold enough.


I just wanted to note that I am adjusting to the Celsius temperature scale to join the rest of the world. Only four countries use the Farenheit system. I found this simple video on YouTube that helps me with the conversion. It's not the official formula but it's a simple way to make the conversion, and for the most part it's spot on. 

Be sure to check back for my update with the finished product - either today or tomorrow.

Tot zeins!

UPDATE: My ball was completed a little after midnight. I love it, and Jon said it's his favorite!

No comments: