January 20, 2010

Paris, Day 2, Part I

Day 2 in Paris... How could it ever top Day 1? Maybe some shopping? Maybe a museum? How about both? After a delicious breakfast that included coffee, chocolate cake, almond croissant, and a sweet pudding that consisted of cream and semolina, I was ready to go!

I had heard about the flea markets of Paris, and thought it might be fun to go to one. Coincidentally, the house we were staying at is in Saint-Ouen, home to the largest flea market in Paris!

To get to Les Puces (The Fleas) we had to walk through tight stalls on the sidewalks where merchants were selling inexpensive colthing, converse and cheap household goods. Finally we took a right and there we were in the middle of la jonque. There were so many beautiful things!



It was the Sunday afternoon just after Christmas, so it seemed as if half of the dealers were open for business. I learned right away that you can't take pictures. A mean look and a 'tsk, 'tsk, was all it took, but I clicked away when and where I could.

This painting is creepy, but it reminds me of Mr. Wonderful and me...

Un couple d'amoureux...
And this, well...

It reminds me of Stace and Steph in Connecticut,
and Curiosities in Dallas...

Macabre Mascarade:



Roll out the red carpet!

 This part of the market was like a fashion museum! There were beautiful evening gowns, wedding gowns and every day dresses from every decade of the last century.


Down the way at different stalls, I was able to touch, feel, and observe details up close. My favorite pieces of clothing to look over had to be the ladies undergarments from the turn of the century. I'm not a perv, but the delicacy of the cotton and gorgeous lace detail really made an impact on me. The way the light shined through these pieces: slips, tanks and shorts, was gorgeous, ethereal even. I wouldn't mind owning a few pieces just to hang up for inspiration.

Les Livres

(The books... ) Beautiful bound books

We only spent about an hour at the market, but I could have spent all day there. There were such artful displays, and I had to keep reminding myself that this was Paris! This is the place where buyers and visual merchandisers of my favorite stores come for their inspiration and next year's designs.

It's my Mecca.

It was a sin not to have any money to spend.

but maybe that is for the best.

No comments: