December 13, 2008

The State of Estates

Earlier this week, I wrote about an estate sale that provided an incredible shoppers high that I am still feeling the effects of one week later. The items I picked up were for creating, and I was filled with inspiration. How is it possible to gain all of these exhilarating feelings from an estate sale? Part of the excitement was being in an old beautiful house on the lake. They don't make them like this anymore, and it's sad but it will probably be torn down and another house will be built in its place.


A few of my finds:
A doll house, that I didn't buy.

Made of wood, and decorated with ornate book jackets, this house was priced at $289 including all of the furnishings. I just love the Spanish flamenco dancers on the third and first floors.

A beautiful red vanity priced for $185. I really wanted it. I went back to buy it when it was half-off, but convinced myself not to make the purchase. Why? I have no house right now and have a vanity already. So, I settled for a picture to admire it's beauty in the future.


Some of my purchases:
An old cigar box full of ric-rac and wooden spools of bright thread, and some fun pink girlie fabric. All for $2!

1961 edition:

It's in pristine condition for mid-century fun!


An interesting book that I couldn't resist.

Fifty-Two Sunday Dinners by Elizabeth O. Hillier. It's a great book from 1915, with recipes for 6 - 8 courses. Some of the dishes seem rather odd, but that's the beauty of it: consommé with egg balls, braised calf's liver, and cream of almond soup, etc.

This sounds like another project in the making. There is something about documenting time with Sunday dinners that sounds appealing to me. I can just imagine slaving in the kitchen someday trying to make all of these dinners, (except for the calf's liver) eating with friends and family. This book has been used; you can tell from the flour-y fingerprints on the front cover. I wonder which ones were prepared and successful? Read the full text here of Fifty-Two Sunday Dinners from www.archive.org


These 3 books were purchased for different reasons, but they are all published by Grosset & Dunlap. There's an interesting story behind this publisher, entrepreneurial spirit and such. Read about it here.

From left to right:
1) Freckles by Gene Stratton-Porter. The binding is very loose, but I bought this book with the intention of cutting it up. I loved the title, I always wished I had freckles. But the most charming aspect of this book are the large print chapter headings. Check 'em out:

GREAT RISKS TAKEN
PROVES HIS METTLE
BRAVELY FACES TROUBLE
A FIGHT OCCURS
MEETS A MAN
CAPTURED
RELEASED
NURSES A HEART-ACHE
TAKING A PICTURE
LOCATES A TREE
OFFERS HIS LIFE
REFUSES LOVE
FINDS HIS BIRTHRIGHT
RETURNS

And that's pretty much the story of Freckles, and me too for that matter. There are also some really great images in this book as well, it's a gem of text and images. I foresee collages in my future!

2) Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore. I love the cover. It's very pretty to look at, and kind of in the style of William Morris/ Arts and Crafts movement... other than that, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe I'll read it?

3) The last book is a classic that I will definitely read again, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maude Montgomery. Hoo-ray for freckles and red hair!

I also bought a set of 1957 World Book Encyclopedias for $15. My plan is to cut through them volume by volume for the pretty pictures and maps. And who knows, maybe I'll learn a thing or two.

All books bought for $1. The encyclopedia set was $15.

There is another sale by the Help Me Ronda ladies later this month.

Here is a tip for their two day sales. On the last day the price break down is as follows:
8 - 10 am regular price
10 am - 12 pm 1/4 off
12 - 3 pm 1/3 off
3 - 5 pm 1/2 off

If you want an excellent list of estate sales going on in DFW, check out this website:
www.24-7estatesales.com

No comments: