September 1, 2014

Hej!

It's hard to believe my last post was on December 1st, exactly 9 months ago! So much has happened since then! A lot of ground has been covered and our lives have totally changed.
August 31, 2014. 40 weeks +1 day
We've been in our new home in Göteborg, Sweden for almost 2 months. Jon and I moved here from Leuven, Belgium on July 4th. It's been really nice, albeit a bit lonely for me. There's not much a 9 month old pregnant lady can or wants to do at this point. However, from what I can tell, I think I am going to like it here. I've been meaning to write and share more on this space. Originally I thought I would do a photo dump from August for this post, but I think I'll just start from the beginning of this particular adventure. I tend to want to write and share everything, but seeing as how this is a new start and how busy our lives are about to become I think I'll keep it simple for now. I'll just start with a few photos for this post.

For me, these next two pictures pretty much sum up the very beginning of our new life in Sweden:
Breakfast at Two Little Birds
After a three day layover in London, we woke up Friday, July 4th in Göteborg, Sweden - our final destination for the next four years. We were eager to move into our apartment, which would be ready later that day. Our AirBnB apartment came with complimentary breakfast at Two Little Birds Café, a quaint eco-café/gallery with a unique vintage vibe. Breakfast was very good and simple, in fact I still think about it - fresh fruit, yogurt, crusty artisan bread with cheese and a delicious cup of Earl Grey tea. I was relieved to eat such fresh and healthy food in my new town. I was a little concerned about moving away from the weekly markets that I had grown accustomed to in Leuven. It's no coincidence that since we've moved to Sweden, Jon and I have been eating some of the best meals we have ever cooked!

Later that afternoon, the owners of the apartment that we are subletting from for the next two years called to say that the apartment was ready and we could come any time. We hauled our three suitcases and selves over to Guldheden, where I set eyes upon my new home for the first time.
I live here! Somewhere near the top. 
The day I moved in was my first visit to my new home. There was no time to mourn the loss of our adorable attic apartment in Leuven, there was not even time to imagine a transition. This was it! Jon and I have done moves like this before, and it felt like the beginning of an exciting adventure.

"It's not much to look at... At least the colour is nice," I thought.  I've never lived in anything quite like this building before.
What this building lacks in appearance on the outside, it more than makes up for it on the inside. The interior of our space is so cozy and light filled. And we have so much space!
We've spent the past two months getting settled in our home and the Swedish system. There were a few hiccups along the road, but that's to be expected when moving to another country. In the end, everything has worked out. Most recently, our main focus has been getting things ready for our little girl who is currently two days past her official due date.

Here is a picture of her room - a work in progress, but ready for her arrival!
I hope to share more soon.

No comments: