December 16, 2007

Virgin de Guadalupe Skirt(s)

Our Lady of Guadalupe, also known as Virgin de Guadalupe, has a feast day and is celebrated on December 12. There are several processions throughout the Mexico commemorating her appearances on December 9 through 12, 1531 to Juan Diego on the hill of Tepeyac near Mexico City. It's a 12 day festival, with processions to la catedral and offerings to the Virgin.

My skirts and I attended two days of the processions, here is what we observed...

Lot's of fruit. You could smell the oranges down the street. I would also like to note the color of the oranges, because before the festival de Virgin de Guadalupe, I had only seen green oranges here in Mexico.


Candy vendors along the procession walk...

It smelled so sweet and looked so delicious.

Here come the Skirts!
I mean drums... all girls of course.


I watched from the sidewalk with warm, delicious, sweet atole de coco in hand. Atole de coco is a taste that I will always associate with Vallarta. I plan to drink as much of it as I can while I am living here.


An odd view on the bus... my skirt was glowing.


Waiting at the Pemex.


Walking home after the fanfare, in front of a truck full of golden idols... This time I have champurado in hand, a warm chocolate drink made with masa. My grandmother used to make this for me when I was a little girl. It warmed my heart and soul... recuerdo...

I should also mention that I tasted strawberry tamales too! Que rico!



Maya dancers along the procession. Check out his skirt!


This was a repeated vision throughout the night, little girls dressed up as the Virgin Mary. Note the skirt along the truck. Truck skirt?


The processions end here at the Church of Guadalupe in el centro. It was an experience that I'll never forget, was fortunate to witness and best of all, taste!

No comments: