March 6, 2010

Errand Day

Hallo!

I've been absent, but not by choice. I had an accident last Wednesday. In my morning rush, I spilled my latte on my beautiful MacBook Pro. I was ok, until I checked on it later that evening and got this \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ times infinity.


We carefully removed the effected keys off, working like a surgeon and nurse. We set it to dry for three days to no avail. A new keyboard will have to be ordered. Thinking about the void not having the computer will leave in my life, I set about to find an alternative. Currently I am working with a spare keyboard and mouse. It works, but is not ideal. At least I do not have to share with Jon as he researches and writes.

I took the MacBook Pro days off to become reaquainted with my iPhone. Thank goodness for that! I have really become attached to the Polaroid simulator ShakeItPhoto, and I like the effect much better than my regular photos.

So, what have I been up to?

Nothing much. Mr. Wonderful was in the hospital for day surgery last Thursday, and today was the dreaded errand day. Mr. Wonderful is ok, at home, resting and recuperating. But, I have to admit I was pretty scared there for a minute. Thankfully all is well.

Waiting for Mr. Wonderful to get out of post-op. I took the opportunity to take some art inspired pictures.

Mr. Wonderful's boots inspired by this painting* by Vincent Van Gogh.

A view out of the hospital window - inspired by this painting*, and this painting* by Edward Hopper.

**Please click on the links provided. They are links to information and the museums that actually own the artworks that inspire my photos.

Errand Day

As an American, I have to admit that I really loved shopping. But ever since I moved to Europe I've had a change of heart. Mr. Wonderful and I moved over here with two suitcases each. There wasn't too much that we were able to bring and we really had to think about what we needed versus what we wanted. Not a bad compromise for a year in Europe but the great thing about this is making peace with these decisions.

In Leuven, stores are closed on Sundays and all stores close at 6 pm during the week. That leaves one day - Saturday, to get all of your shopping done... for everyone. Usually, it's not fun to shop crowded streets and stores, but there are things we need: food, household items and medicine for Mr. Wonderful. So off I went today with my iPhone in hand, and made the best of it.


First stop was the pharmacy, but they aren't all open on Saturdays.

The weather was sunny, but cold - a perfect Belgian day!


The "old" Town Hall, c. 1440.

Saturdays there is a flower and fruit market near the old town hall.
I think I need some flowers.


Inspiration for a future post.


Fonske!

He has a military outfit on today!

Still looking for a pharmacy that is open, and running in and out of shops along the way, I venture over to the university library area.

"Totem" by Jan Fabre,
It's a giant beetle stabbed with a giant needle.


Leuven Train Station

Still no sight of an open pharmacy...


This is the city hall that I go to for all of my alien needs.

It's where all the magic happens.


FINALLY!

An open pharmacy! The green light lets me know it's open.
Hooray for pain killers!


Acco: student book store and supplier in Leuven.

They have the best stock of art and office supplies.

An impromptu stop by the candy store...


Almost home!
St. Peter's Church, c. 1425.
(I live right behind here.)

My last stop:

No Flemish errand day is complete without a stop to HEMA.

*Click on the link and wait for the site to load, it's worth it. I promise.

2 comments:

Those Tricks said...

That HEMA website is super neat!
s

Radiowaves said...

OH!...The Boots! I just LOVE your photo of the boots...and the link to the Van Gogh Museum painting. That took me back to when I toured Amsterdam.



Thanks for telling me about your blog Lydia! I rarely visit blogs...outside of the political realm, but yours is really delightful...especially the grocery list...there's something charming and even calming about it...worlds apart form the RUSH RUSH pace of the Walmart excursion!